- 1/2 cup pitted prunes
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 225g of crushed pineapple
- 1/4 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 extra large egg white
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup grated Rosaly Carrots
- 125 grams low-fat cream cheese
- 125 grams unsalted butter
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted pecans, (optional)
To make cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celcius.
- Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners or coat with cooking spray.
- Combine prunes with hot water in a food processor and process until smooth; set aside.
- Drain pineapple in a strainer set over a small bowl, pressing firmly to extract most of the juice. Set the pineapple aside and reserve the juice for another use.
- Whisk flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Whisk egg, egg white, sugar, oil and the reserved prune puree in a mixing bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and stir with a rubber spatula until blended.
- Stir in carrots and the reserved pineapple.
- Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups, filling them about two-thirds full.
- Bake the cupcakes until they spring back when lightly pressed in the center, 25 to 30 minutes. Let the cupcakes sit in the pan for about 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool before icing.
To make cream-cheese icing:
- Beat cream cheese, unsalted butter, icing sugar and lemon juice in a bowl with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Spread each cupcake with icing and sprinkle with pecan nuts (if using).